March 5-6 was the festivals’ “Voyage to the Orient” weekend and the #pirates provided patrons with Dragon Boat Rides for a $5 donation that benefits our non-profit org- SOAR.
Kids, kings, queens, jesters, Port Royal Buccaneers, swordmen, clowns, musicians, anyone and everybody who had the chance experienced to paddle, enjoy the ride and get the full dragon boat experience!
Going from a New Year’s resolution to an action plan doesn’t have to be difficult. We often fail to act on our health resolutions because they tend to restrict what we love to eat or force us to participate in activities we don’t necessarily enjoy – such as going to a noisy, crowded gym to get on a cardio machine or weight training machine. But what if you could change all of that and find the perfect motivator to act on your resolutions and make some simple lifestyle adjustments? Here are some tips and how we can help you achieve your goals:
- Do something different and fun. We can definitely help you with that! It is as simple as joining one of our newbie practices (11:00 am most Saturday mornings in Hollywood, and 9:00 am most Sundays in Jupiter). While you will learn about proper technique and safety, the key ingredient is having fun. There are very few sports that will get you as motivated as dragon boating, regardless of your fitness level. Even those who barely work out or don’t work out at all see the benefits of our practices. However, the side effect of our practices is that you WILL want to work out outside of the boat eventually, as your desire to get stronger becomes a priority. If you are very fit and are simply looking to cross train, you are with the right team: Blazing Paddles will connect you to paddling opportunities from 100 meter sprints to 340 mile races.
- Eat Well. Getting adequate and not excessive calories, with a good balance of the macro-nutrients (fat, protein, carbohydrates) in healthy form, at the right time, along with vitamins and minerals will help you reach your goals.
- Keep a log. It’s something that can help immensely with your fitness. A log can include things like amount and quality of sleep, mood, illness, energy, aches and pains, body weight, vitals, etc. When you review it, it will surprise you. Most likely you will be able to determine the reasons for your fatigue, conditioning improvements, health issues you were not aware of, etc.
- Get enough sleep. If you’re not getting much sleep, you’re not going to be at your best. Sleep is an important part of recovery and hard workouts without adequate recovery are counterproductive.
- Meditate and visualize. Visualization can be extremely effective for skill-building and for mental preparation for your fitness. It will be even more important if you join us in our races.
- Get a support group. If you join Blazing Paddles, you will immediately have over 50 new friends, all of whom are interested in a healthy lifestyle. Our members have come up with great ideas for ways to improve, and constantly share them with each other. Blazing Paddles is all about team support and encouragement, positive outlook and motivation.
Think about the difference each of these things could make for you. You are taking the right step. Whether you decide to try dragon boating or another team sport, incorporate a couple of simple and healthy adjustments into your life. Should you decide to give dragon boating a try, Blazing Paddles will welcome you with open and toned arms.